Your Voice On Campus
As a university undergraduate, there are many exciting and unique opportunities both on and off campus. Undergraduate students based at Griffith University’s Brisbane and Logan campuses are represented by the Student Representative Council. The Gold Coast campus has a similar student body called the Student Guild. Your representatives work diligently to ensure that all students can have their voices heard, provide a range of support services and host a variety of incredible events throughout the year. I am sure that the memories of diverse experiences, social events and friendships will last long after we finish our uni degrees. If you have something you want to see on campus, concerns regarding student life or creative ideas, make sure to raise your opinions to your elected campus committee.
The Student Representative Council (SRC) has five campus committees at Nathan, Mt Gravatt, Logan, Queensland College of Art (QCA) and Queensland Conservatorium (QCGU) who meet together to form the SRC Board. They have ongoing initiatives such as student forums, free food days, the student newsletter “Published” and off-campus day trips to famous and amusing locations. The annual SRC End of Year Cocktail Party on 19 October is set to be a blast with students attending from all Brisbane and Logan campuses!
The Griffith University Gold Coast (GUGC) Student Guild provides a range of services and activities including a Justice of the Peace service, a Gold Coast to Nathan intercampus bus (operating in both directions), the Guild Crew (volunteer program) and the student magazine “Getamungstit” just to name a few.
Both SRC and Student Guild offer free legal services and personal support for complaints, harassment and discrimination. Both student bodies also offer heaps of events and subsidised courses such as Barista courses and CPR accreditation. Advocacy services such as reviewing or appealing assessment grades are also available. Let’s see some examples of the range of things in store for undergraduates this trimester.
Gold Coast Campus
* Yoga – Boost your health and wellbeing with free yoga on offer every Tuesday.
* Movie night – Chill on bean bags with free popcorn and soft drinks.
* Market Days- On every other Wednesday, check out the food vendors, local artists and musicians in front of the library.
* Stress Less Week- Enjoy a range of free activities and crafts on offer right before exams!
For more events check out the GUGC Student Guild event calendar: https://www.gugcstudentguild.com.au/events/
* Board games night – Come along for a night of games, free pizza and prizes. This event will be occurring three times this trimester.
* Breakfast and dinner deals – Keep an eye out on the events calendar for details on how to receive discounted meals. * Cultural Festival – Hosted by Clubs at Griffith and partly sponsored by the SRC, this family-friendly event will showcase the diverse cultures within the uni.
For more events check out the SRC event calendar: http://www.griffithsrc.com.au/events-activities/
Mt Gravatt Campus
* SRC $5 meal deals – Get a delicious meal for only $5 available on a different day each week.
* Locker hire – Available each trimester or throughout the year on a first come first serve basis.
* Freebie Friday Competition – Your weekly chance to win a $50 voucher by taking a short survey.
* Study sessions – Bring your study materials and enjoy free snacks towards the end of the trimester.
* Self-defense – This introductory session will cover aspects of self-defence for beginners.
* Self-advocacy workshop – Learn about your rights as a student, tips on how to write appeals and how to communicate effectively. The workshop will be on 5 September and catering is provided.
* Free food days – A tasty variety of food will be available on selected Mondays and Wednesdays.
* Bounce night out – Enjoy an energetic session of trampolining at Bounce Tingalpa with students from both Logan and QCA campuses.
* Board Games – Have a study break and borrow a board game from the SRC office.
* Free editing service – Get assistance with academic writing from the editor-in-residence.
* Conservatorium Ball – Dance the night away at the annual ball in early September with friends, food and fun.
* Student Forum – Express your ideas and opinions on uni life to your representatives.
* Music stands – Borrow a collapsible music stand as part of a new initiative starting this trimester.
* Free coffee cards – Visit the SRC office and redeem your free coffee at the Cafe.
By Charlotte Fung